I recently found out that red kidney beans contain a relatively high amount of the toxic lectin, phytohaemagglutinin.
An article on phytohaemagglutinin on the FDA website states:
Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin.
It has been shown that heating to 80°C may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw.
What I do not understand is how the toxicity could increase if the beans are cooked at lower temperatures in a crock pot. I would understand if the toxicity remained the same (that is, not be deactivated), but I thought a toxin is nonliving (i.e., unable to grow and reproduce) since it is not a bacteria?
I know nothing about biology, so I am utterly confused.